Monday, March 14, 2011

Is there a Human Services Professional in the House???

Is there a Human Services Professional in the house, the Georgia House of Representatives? OK, so we all know our local legislators may not be asking this question, but they should be!  People serving the community have a sense of what impact a proposed legislation may have.


So here is my short list of current Bills that should have you running down to the state capitol (or at least calling your state representative and senator.) I would suggest having those two on speed dial. OK, so I still need to enter in Rep. Terry Johnson and Sen. Steve Thompson into my phone! If you don't know who your local legislators are just go to the GA Secretary of State website and click on My Voter Page in the left corner. 


A few of the embarrassing highlights at the GA state capitol this year have been the Obama "Birther" bill and basically anything said by Rep. Bobby Franklin. The unfortunate changes to HOPE scholarship were approved last week, and are set to go into effect this fall.  It seems that there has been no shortage of anti-immigrant legislation  this year and no anti-LGBT legislation.


1. HB59 "Destroyer of the Dream" Bill that denies higher education to all undocumented students. 


2. HB87 & SB40 & SB104 "Arizona Copy-cat" "Show-me-your-Papers" both legalize racial profiling


What bills are on your watch-list this year? Let me know if I need to add to this list :)




***Update 3/18/11***
HB87 & SB40 have passed the House and Senate respectively. 





No comments:

Post a Comment